To Do Items

Developer
Jun 9, 2008 at 2:17 PM
These are "optional extras" - niceties that we should work on next. I'd like some more input from everyone once people start using the project BEFORE we commit to a solid to do list. Feel free to discuss. These to do items are at the beginning of the main source for Form1.

- NB: Build a pretty install that checks for pre-reqs. I know, I suck at OneClick, it's all my fault:-P

- NB: Check if this works with SQL 2008 (Katmai)

- NB: Find a way of integrating with SQL 2005's context menu; maybe have Scriptio as a contex menu item on a
   database level, and then launch Scriptio with the authentication items already filled in, the database list
   populated with a single item (the database we've right clicked, obviously) and grayed out, and fire off the
   PopulateDatabases method. Also, see if we can't integrate it with SQL 2008 as well whilst we're about it.

- Build intelligence into the selection system, so that when you select an item in the DataGrid it checks if
   all Stored Procs, for example, have been manually ticked in the DataGrid, and then reflects that in the
   CheckedListBox by ticking the StoredProc's item.

- "Beautify" the items in clbType, so that it puts a space between capitalised words - ie. when it adds
   UserDefinedTypes to the clbType items collection, it should add it as "User Defined Types". Beautify the
   description in the DataGrid too so that they match.

- Add other encoding options (UTF-7, UTF-8, UTF-32, BigEndianUnicode), dependant on demand

- Make sure we've exposed ALL relevant ScriptingOptions properties to the user, you never know what oddity might
   be required by a single person in a single environment

Thanks,
Riccardo

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:11 PM
I've been using Scriptio adn I love it. I have a few more suggestions myself, in addition to those to do items listed above. I would love to see them incorporated in the next release. Here they are:

- Create a config file in which prefered settings are saved and be loaded back in the next time I log back into Scriptio, so that there is no need to re-enter those settings manually the next time around.

- There is a bug when the server is changed and reconnected to. The error message is "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Cannot clear this list."

- Ability to save individual files in different folders simultaneously according to object type (by tables, views, procs, etc.)

- Add an aditional sorting level within an existing sort. For example, it would be nice to sort first by object type, then by object name. Indeed, currently when object are sorted by type, objects cannot be sorted in alphabetical order within each type, which makes it a little more tedious to find a specific table for example.

- Add 2 filters in the display of object list:
       one by object type
       one by file name matching pattern

Thank you.

Trung Nguyen, Emerson Process Management, Boulder, CO.
Dec 7, 2008 at 2:02 AM
Here is what I did to rebuild from source for Katmai (SQL 2008):
  1. Remove the following References (they will appear with an error icon in Visual Studio if you don't have SQL 2005 installed):
    • Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo
    • Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo
    • Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoEnum
  2. Add the following References with Version 10.0.0.0 (of course, you need to have SQL 2008 installed first):
    • Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo
    • Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo
    • Microsoft.SqlServer.SqlEnum [note the slight name change]
    • Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc
  3. Add the following line to the using statements near the top of Form1.cs:
    using Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc;
The project referenced an app.config file which was not included in the download, but Scriptio doesn't actually need it, so I simply deleted it from the project. I used Visual Studio 2008 SP1 but I left the project targeting .NET 2.0 so I assume this would work with Visual Studio 2005 as well.
Feb 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM
Apologies in advance if there is a more appropriate area for new feature requests.

Would there be any way to make the filter section able to select indexes, foreign keys, and primary keys as separate check boxes?

I frequently have the need to just script one or more without scripting all the tables and other objects.

Thanks,

Jon
May 6, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Requests:

• Extract the meat of the utility into a cmd line interface, and change the UI to merely exercise the cmd line exe. I might do this myself and commit patches. This would be a big improvement over the database publishing wizard that cannot script to separate files and it would make the tool an improved replacement for scptxfr.exe.
  • Include a regex exclusions section so that you can easily leave out tables and views created by sql features such as sql replication and SSMS diagram support in views. IE: a textbox that you type in sys* into and press the Add button to add sys* to a new datagrid for all of the exclusions. All objects starting with sys would become unchecked in the script selection datagrid.